Olympic Spoolbase is one of our patented technology systems which revolutionises the method of manufacturing, storing, loading and transpooling piping for pipe lay projects. It’s a modular system for onshore fabrication and storage of pipelines which allows long lengths of pipeline (10km +) to be stored prior to reeling. The system allows spoolbases to be built as close to the field location as practicable, sometimes several days sailing closer than existing spoolbases.
Subsea contractors are investing in state of the art deepwater construction vessels but ignoring one of the main bottle necks in the pipe lay process. It is envisaged that this innovative spooling method will give the partnering contractor significant commercial advantages over its competitors. Reeled systems involve the onshore manufacture of lengths of pipelines and the subsequent spooling of those lengths onto a lay vessel.
Current Industry Challenges
- Massive vessel costs
- Limited global spoolbase capacity
- Restricted spoolbase access due to concentration of spoolbase ownership
- Lack of site availability and sustainability at ports for existing linear spoolbase configurations
- Lay vessels spending more than 80 days alongside reeling stalks of pipe, the ESS innovation can reduce this time considerably
Value Proposition – Olympic Spoolbase
- Significantly faster load outs
- Utilisation advantage for pipe lay vessels
- Efficiency advantages for spoolbases
- Reduced interim mob durations
- No requirement to stern moor giving port availability advantages
- Shorter spoolbase length enables access to a greater choice of sites
- A reduced spoolbase area or linear length will mitigate security risk in remote areas
- Access to cheaper land/site and economic benefit
- Speed of deployment
- Reduced risk/cost in mobilisation
Olympic Spoolbase is currently undergoing customer evaluation on 5 continents, for multiple locations and projects.
Trials on 8” pipe took place in May 2009 at CRC’s Tulsa facility. If you would like to see the trials video or simply request more information about the Olympic Spoolbase, please contact the team on (+44)01330 826870.